There’s a place pedestal lavs. They work when there is limited floor space.The openness below the basins can open up small spaces. But in this bathroom remodeled by the Kitchen Cabinet Factory Outlet of Murrysville PA (near Pittsburgh) the homeowners wanted more. More counter space and more organization.
AFTER photo complements of The Kitchen Cabinet Factory of Murrysville PA . Cabinets: Waypoint's style 410F in Cherry Java
BEFORE photo complements of The Kitchen Cabinet Factory
While an attempt was made to improve the lack of counter space in the old bathroom by adding a shelf above the basins, it fell far short of the family needs. In the remodel, the homeowners gained drawer space and a generous counter surface. Wider drawer bases provide a place for larger items and the base Spice Drawer Cabinet in the center works for smaller items that could get lost in larger drawers.The beautiful cherry cabinets have the look of furniture.
In addition, the room got an upgrade on the light fixtures (not shown), flooring installed on the diagonal, new under mount basins, brushed nickle fittings and on-trend individual framed mirrors instead of the dated frameless wall-to-wall mirror.
A big improvement for one of the smaller rooms in the home.
This fresh, bright kitchen is the result of rebuilding after the frightful devastation of Hurricane Sandy on October 29, 2012 in Breezy Point NY. You might remember that not only were there record storm surges but much of the town was destroyed by fire. The people of Breezy Point proved to be a resilient group and today homes are still going up as people choose to rebuild rather than leave their beloved homes by the sea.
Photo complements of M & G Kitchen Designs LLC or Manville NJ. Cabinets Waypoint's style 720R in Maple Linen
This kitchen was part of a whole house project done by M & G Kitchen Designs LLC of Manville NJ. It has a wonderful coastal look, which includes the perfect blue and white back splash. Some other things I like about this kitchen are:
- The ‘U’ shape layout that is large enough to hold a nice sized island
- The white painted coffer ceiling-not common in new construction
- Staggered height wall cabinets
- The wall color that reminds me of wet stand
- Mullion door wall cabinets flanking the decorative hood look like old-fashioned windows
- The bump out at the sink gives a bit more room behind the sink
This kitchen is not just pretty, it represents determination and resilience. It’s been almost three years since Hurricane Sandy and the rebuilding in Breezy Point goes on. This home is pure inspiration of what can be done even in the face of unbelievable odds. I hope the homeowners have many, many happy years here.
Remember when there was a washday….a day set aside just to do laundry? Washing clothes was a much bigger task then than it is now. Today we are apt to throw a load of laundry in the washer just about any day of the week and any time of the day or night.
Photo complements of Cabinet S-Top of Medina OH. Cabinets: style T60S
Above is a great laundry room designed my Cabinet S-Top of Medina OH and some of the things I really liked about it:
- Long, wide floor tiles are easy to keep clean and hide dust etc.
- A low profile stainless steel sink is handy to have and easy to clean
- The open shelf over the sink gives extra head room and would be a perfect place to hang a closet rod. It would be so easy to take the clothes out of the dryer and hang them up immediately to keep them wrinkle free.
- Updated track lighting does a great job of illuminating the room. I am seeing a trend moving away from dozens of recessed lights and moving towards well-designed ceiling fixtures.
- The TO6S beadboard door style in easy-to-care for Thermofoil* gives a fresh country look.
- Spice drawers are perfect for holding mending supplies,scissors, stain removal sticks and other small items
- Under counter laundry equipment gives more counter space for folding
- Thick molding to the ceiling gets rid of dust collecting gaps and looks richly detailed.
- Stacked tall storage…no home ever has enough no matter where it is.
I think doing laundry would fun in this room!
*Thermofoil is thick vinyl film bonded to warp-resistant engineered wood which allows cabinet doors and drawer fronts to exhibit the same styling and detail found in solid wood doors. The color is consistent throughout the film.
Photo complements of Remodeling Max LLCof Houston TX. Cabinet style: 630F in Maple Hazelnut Glaze
We’re used to seeing double bowl vanities in a straight line. But this L shape design by Remodeling Max LLC of Houston TX fits the room beautifully.
There is even a lazy susan in the corner, which gives abundant and convenient storage. It’s not common to see one in a bathroom but with today’s trend towards taller vanities, it is possible to add this design feature.
Photo complements of Remodeling Max LLC of Houston TX. Cabinet style: 630F in Maple Hazelnut Glaze
And who wouldn’t love the spacious shower that is adjacent? I always favor showers with seats, clear frameless doors and built-in niche’s for toiletries. This shower has it all.
Photo complements of Grand Interiors of Santa Clara CA, Style: Waypoint's 730S in Maple Espresso
Not everyone craves an open floor plan. This contemporary beauty by Grand Interiors of Santa Clara California is a classic galley design. But it’s totally updated with sleek cabinets in maple with an Espresso finish and the shine of stainless steel appliances.
Photo complements of Grand Interiors of Santa Clara CA
The light wood tone floor offsets the classic look of the design. It brightens the space and I love the orange accent wall. It’s just the right amount of color to pull the eye all the way through the kitchen.
Photo complements of Grand Interiors of Santa Clara CA
The textured full height back splash in a chalk white contrasts with all the other smooth finishes in the room. Great choice.
AFTER photo compliments of Sorensen Design Concepts LLC of Fredericksburg VA. Cabinets: style 610D in Maple Linen
Not every kitchen requires relocating all the appliances. While the homeowners in this project did eliminate a bathroom to expand the kitchen, this section stayed nearly the same. The sink and range are essentially in the same area but the dishwasher moved to the left of the sink.
However, the primary thing that happened in this great kitchen is that Sorenson Design Concepts LLC of Fredericksburg Virginia completely updated:
- Cabinets now go up to the ceiling giving more storage and an updated look
- An over-the-range microwave/vent adds much-needed air removal
- A full-height tile backsplash adds just the right amount of texture
- New lighting makes the kitchen more workable
- And the brand new granite countertops are just spectacular
By the way, did you know that the proper location for a dishwasher for a right-handed person is on the LEFT? It may seem counter intuitive but that location allows the person to scrape dishes with their dominant hand and load the dishwasher with their left hand without ever putting down the scraper. Makes perfect sense.